New Medicine Service (NMS)
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, some of the arrangements below have been put on hold. Please click here for more information.
The New Medicine Service (NMS) was the fourth Advanced Service to be added to the Community Pharmacy Contractual Framework; it commenced on 1st October 2011.
The service provides support for people with long-term conditions newly prescribed a medicine to help improve medicines adherence; it is focused on particular patient groups and conditions.
Since the introduction of the NMS, more than 90% of community pharmacies in England have provided it to their patients.
to continue commissioning the service.
For more information on the following visit PSNC
- Directions, guidance and service specification
- Related resources
- Notifying NHS England
- Pharmacist knowledge and skills requirements
- NMS medicines list
- Providing the NMS
- Obtaining patient consent
- Patient information
- Interview schedule
- NMS record keeping and NHSBSA reporting requirements
- Post-payment verification process
- Communicating with GPs
- Referring patients to GPs
- Working with hospital colleagues
- Funding and claiming payment
- Service evaluation
- NMS statistics
- Other information
- Further NMS resources
Good Practice examples for NMS success we found in the Humber Area
- Team need to understand why we do services and their role in this.
- Team need to consistently identify eligible patients when labelling.
- Team need to be confident and ‘keep it simple’ when engaging patients.
- Need to have robust system for paperwork e.g. 1-31 file for NMS or electronic e.g. Proscript.
- Need to have regular days/times set aside to ring patients.
- Operational platform needs to be efficient to allow pharmacist time for consultation.
- Pharmacist and Team need to make services a focus.
- Closest pharmacy to surgery e.g. Health centres provides more opportunity for sign ups.
- Low evidence of GP referrals and support. One example, in some areas any issues at intervention are referred directly to the Practice Pharmacist and new Rx for alternative is issued same day.