Summary Care Records
The NHS Summary Care Record (SCR) is an electronic summary of key clinical information (including medicines, allergies and adverse reactions) about a patient, sourced from the GP record.
It is used by authorised healthcare professionals to support their care and treatment. More than 96% of the population have an SCR because they have not opted out and it is already being successfully used in many settings across the NHS, such as A&E departments, hospital pharmacies, NHS 111 and GP out of hours services and walk in centres.
COVID-19 SCR-related updates
- COVID-19 codes: New COVID 19 SNOMED codes have been added to the Summary Care Record Additional Information dataset
- Shielded Patient (Vulnerability) Flag: made available within SCR
- SCR with Additional Information: In light of the current emergency, the ‘Additional Information’ framework was amended on 23rd April 2020 so that health and care workers that can use SCR can view the information best needed to support patients – including ‘Additional Information’ (e.g. diagnoses information). This means for the time being patients won’t need to ask their GP practice to activate it. This arrangement will be reviewed after the pandemic. Pharmacy teams are encouraged to email email@example.com if they wish to share evidence about how the change helps aside from the pandemic, to support review of whether the arrangement will continue.
- Smartcard & multi-sites process: PSNC has supported NHS Digital’s bulk adjustment of cards with the locum 5F code to be associated with 5F SCR code.
- SCR 1-click integration within PMR systems: Cegedim have made SCR 1-click feature available to support their users. Other PMR systems are also considering developments.
See relevant sub-sections below for more about these COVID-19-related SCR developments.
For more information on the following please click here to visit PSNC:
Shielded Patient Flag (SPF)
Smartcards & multi-sites
SCR with Additional Information
SCR checklist for usage
Training & guidance
SCR 1-click & system integration
Auditability & SCR Governance Person model & training
Patient access to SCR info
Report issue process (& NHS-management)
Top tips & vids (from pharmacists)
Future and write access
Further info and resources
Updated Roles or sites
You will find more info on updating roles and sites and guidance for locums under the Smartcards and Multi sites section above.
Humber Area – (North East Lincolnshire, North Lincolnshire, East Riding of Yorkshire and Hull CCG):
RA Provider: N3i
Phone: 0300 002 0001
Self Service Portal – https://servicedesk.n3i.co.uk
For more information on Smartcards, please click here to visit our Smartcard page.