COVID-19 continuity: EPS timely submission tips
PSNC recommends that in these times where there could a risk of temporary closure at your pharmacy caused by COVID-19 to consider the following EPS timing submission tips:
- Send EPS dispense and claim messages promptly and often preferably daily. This helps in case of a temporary closure becoming required or a technical outage happening. This also allows other EPS users and the NHS to see the status of the EPS prescription.
- Take account of the EPS 5-day window and ensure dispense messages are sent within the calendar month and claim messages by 5th of the following month.
- Use the ‘bulk submit’ feature on PMR systems, where available, to speed up the process of sending EPS messages.
- Ensure that all Electronic Repeat Dispensing (eRD) prescription issues are claimed within 365 days of the prescriber’s original signature date because claim messages cannot be submitted after.
- Send your EPS claim message soon after the final dispense message has been sent, and before the 180-day (six-month) EPS prescription claiming deadline*. After 180 days, the prescription cannot be priced by NHSBSA.
- Ensure that Schedule 2, 3 and 4 Controlled Drug prescriptions have EPS dispense and claim messages sent in a timely manner. The law sets out that actual dispensing of the Schedule 2, 3 and 4 CDs must take place within 28 days of the appropriate date.
Note: If your pharmacy is faced with having to close temporarily and you have an outstanding question about EPS/IT please contact email@example.com. PSNC is working with NHS Digital and other organisations regarding the arrangements in the event of a temporary closure.